Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Frugal Ideas for the Homestead

Here are a few projects I worked on last night:

1. A remedy for loose grocery bags:
I was getting tired of opening my cabinet under the sink and being bombarded with plastic bags so I decided to fix it. I like to keep a few plastic grocery bags around because we use them as small trash bags in our bathrooms so I don't want to just get rid of them. We had a few empty baby wipe tubs that I held on to "just in case" so I used one of those for my plan.
Just stuff it full of all your plastic grocery bags and there you have it, an easy way to keep them put away but still in easy reach! :)

Works great! :) 
2. Reusable cloth baby wipes-
I thought we were running low on baby wipes when I did this project last night. I kept thinking we had tons of wipes but I couldn't find them in the top of the boys' closet when I went to get them down. Come to find out later, after this project, Hubby had moved them to one of the organizers in their bedroom. Anyway, I like using these when changing "dirty" diapers with my 5 month old. I use 1 regular disposable wipe first than use the reusable after. When your done, just throw it in the wash. Easy as pie! :)

You will need a wipes tub (or some sort of container), baby oil, baby wash, and boiled warm water.

I had tons and tons of wash cloths (no joke, over 20) so I decided to use some of those, however, you can use an old flannel receiving blanket cut into equal size sheets.

* Fold all the "wipes" and place them on top of each other in the empty baby wipes tub.
* Next mix 1 1/2 cups of water boiled hot water with 1/4 cup baby oil and 1/4 cup baby wash.
* Mix well and pour over the top of the "wipes"
* The wipes will soak in the mixture and you will have some great reusable wipes! :)

CAUTION: PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU WAIT TILL THE WIPES HAVE COOLED BEFORE YOU USE THEM ON THE BABY. IT COULD CAUSE BURNS!

Now, go wipes some baby bottoms! :) 

Tomorrow I will share a post on our dinner tonight and another great household budget saver! Stay tuned and have a GREAT night!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment