Monday, July 2, 2012

Day 7: "These are a few of my favorite" FOODS!!!


In today's post I am going to introduce you to a meal that includes some of my favorite foods! We had it for dinner tonight and it is AMAZING!!! I found the following recipe on Pinterest from a blog called Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life. Most of the ingredients I had already but some of them were bought during my shopping trip today which we will get to later! :)

Chicken, Sweet Potato, & Spinach Quesadillas 

Ingredients:
 1 large sweet potato (YUMMY)
1/2 cup of red wine vinegar (LOVE this stuff!)
1/4 cup of sugar
A few dashes fresh ground peppercorns
1 medium onion sliced
4 large tortillas (wheat, flour, or corn)
Chicken breast cooked, cubed or shredded about 1 1/2 cups
Baby spinach
1/2 cup Mozzarella

Begin by microwaving your potato until done. Make sure that it is wet and has holes poked in it before putting it in the microwave (it cooks better). While your potato is cooking combine the red wine vinegar, sugar, and peppercorns to a boil in a small sauce pan until the sugar has dissolved. Have your onion slices ready in a bowl and pour the hot vinegar mixture of them, let it sit for at least 10mins (I usually toss them around halfway through). Drain and set them aside. Next, your potato should be done. Cut it in half and set is aside to cool.

Get all other ingredients ready to start assembling the quesadillas. Once the sweet potatoes are cool enough, remove the skins and mash the "meat." After it is good and mashed half the mixture and smear it really good onto 2 tortillas. Next top with spinach, pickled onions, chicken, and cheese. Lay a plain tortilla on top. Heat a large skillet and use either cooking spray or olive oil to ready the pan. Lay the quesadilla into the pan and cook on either side until almost crisp (not burned) it should only take a few minutes.  A good little trick I do for flipping a large quesadilla like this hold a plate over the pan and flip the quesadilla onto it than slide it back into the pan to cook the other side.

Once your quesadilla is ready, slice and enjoy!!!! This is truly one of my FAVORITE meals! There is no need to add other sides but you can if you wish. This meal is SUPER filling and has all your food groups :) Below you will find some pictures. I made a few changes due to the fact that I am trying to save money. You will see the changes I made.

During my grocery shopping today I bought a whole chicken again. Since this recipe called for cubed chicken I decided to use a few pieces from the chicken, 2 wings and a leg. Chicken breast works better but on a $100 budget it doesn't quite work that way :)

I LOVE onions but pickled onions... WOW!!!

All the ingredients laid out.

It was SOOOOOO good! :) I love these things! The cheese didn't get melted enough in this picture.
 So there you have it, a few of my favorite foods combined into the same meal... It equals AMAZING!!!

Now, onto our shopping trip for the day... My meal plan is short this week. We are having the same old things for lunches, sandwiches unless there are leftovers. Dinners: Spinach, Sweet Potato, and Chicken Quesadillas, BBQ Chicken, and Tuna Melts. The BBQ chicken will likely be repeated as leftovers and will use a whole chicken.

Here was what I came out with:
Baking Potatoes
6 Bananas
3 Navel Oranges
a can of tuna
1 cucumber
a bag of onions
a whole 5 lb chicken
Turkey lunch meat
sour cream
coleslaw
Mayonaise
Blue Bell Ice cream... (I know, it's a splurge but we love it, it was on sale, and well, it's summer)
Chips
and Cereal

Total: $26.30
Total spent so far: $66.33 (Yikes!)

Thanks for stopping by!!! :) 





No comments:

Post a Comment