Monday, July 16, 2012

Day 20 and 21: Going Meatless!

Sorry for the delay in posts lately. I have been getting scheduled a lot more at work so I don't get home sometimes until late :) 
Anyway...
Sunday- 
After church our Bible Fellowship class went to Panera. Thank God I still had $12.85 on a gift card the PTO got me from school! $12.85 doesn't go far at Panera so here is what we did... For Tan-man we got a kids melted turkey sandwich with yogurt (3.99) and hubby and I split the pick 2 combo. He got the sandwich part and I got to eat the salad (which was a fabulous avocado chicken salad!). I brought along some tomato and the remaining bit of rice chips to go with mine :) I had to pay a difference of $1.27.

After lunch we did have to make a trip to Aldi... We are getting down to the last bit of cash guys... I bought:

Milk
Bread
Bananas
Can of Black Beans
Green pepper

Total at Panera: $1.27
Total at Aldi: $6.21
Total so far: $ 96.98

For dinner, I was at work. I have to say though, I was soooo proud of my hubby! He fixed dinner ;) Now, even though dinner was a pretty easy fix and just a last minute idea, he still did a great job. We're talking about a guy who's claim to fame is egg sandwiches and hotdogs... :)
So anyway... I found a random jar of Alfredo sauce so I asked hubby to put it to good use. He made some egg noodles, dressed up the sauce a little, added some broccoli, than cooked a couple of the chicken breast tenders that were left and threw them in too! :) It was actually pretty good for something so simple!

Today- We went MEATLESS!!!! :) 
Yes, meatless! As Stacy, at one of my favorite blogs calls it, "meatless Monday!" 

Today I made Meatless Sloppy Joes in the Crockpot. Here is the recipe... It was quite good :) 
This was served on buns with sides of broccoli and the little bit of frozen corn that was in the freezer. I included a few pictures, however, I forgot to take a picture of the finished product! 


Crockpot Meatless Sloppy Joes

1 small onion cut into thin slices
1 green pepper chopped
1 15oz can of kidney beans 
1 8oz can of tomato sauce
2 tbs ketchup
1 tbs yellow mustard
a few shakes of garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder

First, drain and mash the kidney beans, than combine all ingredients into the crockpot. Cover, than cook for 5 hours on low or until all the vegetables are tender. Then, eat just like any other sloppy joe! 

My slices were a little think, but it still turned out yummy!

Squishing the beans. I mashed mine in a colander over my crockpot so when I was mashing the bits that were squeezing through went into my veggie mixture. 


So there you have it, a completely meatless meal! You could very easily use meat in place of the beans and just have homemade crockpot sloppy joes! Doesn't it feel better knowing what exactly your family is eating rather than just buying a can of sloppy joe sauce? :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment