Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Day 8: Reflection...

"Give us this day our daily bread..." Matt. 6:11

We are now 8 days in to the $100 food challenge. So far, as you have seen, my whole purpose for this is to focus meals mainly on what I already have. This challenge has come as a direct result of my convictions. What convictions? The conviction that I am not thankful for the blessing of food that God has given me. Tonight I want you to reflect on yourselves... How many times is the food "just not good enough" to satisfy your taste pallet? Just not good enough to fill your stomach to the point that it hurts because you ate too much? Just not good enough because it's not what you were really craving or wanting for dinner tonight?
I'm sure we are all guilty of these thoughts or actions, I know I am. However, I am seeing that food, which I feel is one of the things we take advantage of the most in life, is something that is very easy to take for granted. A blessing that God has given us that we likely complain about most. It's also one of those things that you probably completely overlook as being ungrateful for. How many times do you bless your food before you eat and really mean it? I'm talking REALLY mean it? ... Now do you see why I was convicted about it?
My in-laws are missionaries in the third world country of Nicaragua. They have a feeding center set up in one of the poorest communities. The community is actually a dump, literally! Families are in the dump digging through it, and trying to find food to eat or things to sell to get food. Their children walk around barefoot and unclothed in trash. They know poverty like NO ONE here knows. Then, I think about how they would probably love to go through some of the "trash" I throw out here and it makes me sick to my stomach. This is why I feel convicted. I don't deserve what I have. Yes, I work. Yes, I pay my taxes. Yes to a lot of things... But here I am, ungrateful and so unworthy of one of the biggest blessings God has given us... Food.

"You (God) satisfy me more than the richest of foods." Psalm 63:5 (NLT)

Please know that I am not posting this to preach to anyone. I myself am merely reflecting on my own convictions and sharing them with you. If you identify with them, than I pray that you can work through your convictions as well. If you don't, than that is fine too. I just hope and pray that this post brings light to a situation that many of us take or have taken for granted at one time or another.

Have a great night and God bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment