Saturday, July 7, 2012

Day 12: Leftovers and a little Nostalgia

Today was a leftovers day. We finished the deli meat at lunch time and moved on to our chicken noodle soup leftovers for dinner. As I was thinking and planning for this next week's meals I came across something interesting... Here is a little background and something about me first...

I grew up on my grandparents farm and was always surrounded by fresh foods. In the spring and summer they grew a garden and worked to can and freeze enough for the winter. They had cows, and chickens for eggs and meat. I loved following the chickens around the farm with my sister to find where they were laying their eggs. Many times it led us to the barn and up into the bails of hay. This than led to a playful little game of jumping hay bails (if you have never done this, you are soooo missing out ;) ). The farm that my grandparents have has been in our family for years and years and belonged to my great grandparents who's old "home house" as my granddad called it, was ordered from a Sears catalog. They lived and worked hard to make a living and to have food for their family. I love to hear stories from the past and one thing that is really intriguing to me is recipes and cooking styles handed down through generations.

It's interesting to look back and see how our cooking and eating has evolved just in the past few decades. Tonight we are going to look at the simplicity of food from the great depression and this week we will dawn our mouths with the flavors of one of it's meals. I want you guys to watch a great video of sweet little Clara. She is in her 90's and has a recipe book full of her family's old Depression recipes. The video tonight is showing you how to make salad from a "weed." I have always heard of Dandelion salad and even seen it on a menu at an expensive restaurant but I have never had it myself. I think I might have to actually experiment with this. Please watch, enjoy, and appreciate the simplicity of food tonight. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment