Friday, March 15, 2013

Meal plan: March 16-23

I have a lot of people ask me about meal planning. For me, meal planning is the biggest thing that reduces our grocery budget. If I don't plan, than we over spend that portion of our budget and chances are we aren't eating as well either. It's the part that keeps me accountable. Plus, it gives me great piece of mind knowing I am making sure my family is well planned and cared for as far as food goes. Of course any of these meals are subject to change if something comes up in the week, but I like to at least have a plan/guideline to shoot for. So here are this week's meals;

Saturday- Chicken Tortilla Rollups w/ Spicy Avocado Crema

Sunday- Spinach leaf salad with grilled chicken, strawberries, oranges, and vinaigrette dressing

Monday- Spaghetti
(Tuesday lunch- leftover spaghetti)

Tuesday- Chicken, sweet potato, and spinach quesadillas

Thursday- Italian marinated chicken with veggies

Friday and Saturday-There will be a "leftovers" night one night and possible night out for a friend's birthday

*lunches are always things like sandwiches, raw veggies, chips, hummus, crackers, yogurt, fruit, etc. I usually just pick a few of these items up at the store and we decide on a day to day basis based on what is in the fridge.
**Breakfasts are things like fruit smoothies, yogurt, fruit, or cereal (I always have a few boxes of cereal stocked in the pantry that I get in big sales)

Since I have decided what we are having I go through the ingredients and check my cabinets to see what I already do or don't have. Once I have done that I make my list. This week I will only  have to buy;
*Green onions
*1 lime
*Tortillas
*Avocado
*Spinach
*Strawberries
*Oranges
*Carrots
*Bread (for the hubby's lunches)
*1lb of beef/turkey (depending on which is cheaper)
*Broccoli
*Multi-grain crackers
*Bananas
*Greek Yogurt
*Milk

Notice there is no soda or juice... These are generally things we don't buy because they are not necessities  Our kids are just fine with water and get all their important nutrients strait from the fruit they eat rather than the juices made from concentrate.





No comments:

Post a Comment