Tuesday, June 26, 2012

And so it begins... Day 1

So today began our exciting grocery budget challenge! So far so good! I will be sharing our dinner for the evening as well as our lunch I made that will last us the whole week!
Let me start by saying, most of the ingredients in the following meals came from my pantry/fridge/freezer that I already had. I only actually bought 1 new item today that I used.

Quick trip to the store...
So, as I said before, all household items, toiletries, etc have to come out of the $100. Today I ventured to Walmart (not my favorite place at all...). My first purchase of the challenge was; 1 bottle of Palmolive, 1 20-count package of gel tab dishwasher detergent, a lemon, and a lime (random lemon and lime, haha).

My total= $5.03

Dinner!!! (I have to put exclamation marks because I LOVED our dinner!)
Tonight was delicious Teriyaki chicken salads. Nothing says summer like a nice cool, crisp salad! :)

Here’s the meal:
* 1 whole chicken (This came from my freezer) I thawed the chicken, then cut the breasts off (wow, that sounds harsh! haha).
*Teriyaki sauce (This came from my fridge) I laid the chicken breasts non-stick sprayed pyrex pie plate and poured a little teriyaki sauce (about 2 or 3 tbs) on them and than popped them in the oven for a bit on 350 till they were done. I made sure to flip them halfway through and swirl them really good in the sauce after I turned them so they get good and tasty! After they were done I took them out and sliced them.
*Romain lettuce and baby spinach leaves (I had these in my produce drawer already) Washed shredded and put into serving dishes.
*1/2 a cucumber (Had in my produce drawer) sliced and put on salads
*optional ingredients such as carrots, croutons, your choice of dressings (the boys had ranch and I had some of my delicious Orange Poppy Seed dressing), etc.

Put it all together and what do you got!?! PURE YUMMINESS!!!

Notice I also added a lonely orange left over from our vacation this past week. BTW, isn't Tanner's little salad precious? :)
So our dinner was fabulous! After dinner I decided to use the rest of the whole chicken to make chicken salad for lunch that would last through the rest of the week (maybe longer).

This chicken salad recipe I am about to show you is FABULOUS! It's from the Pioneer Woman! I LOVE that lady! Every recipe I have ever tried from her site has been as amazing as the pictures she takes throughout the process of cooking it. I adapted it just a tiny bit so here goes...

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken (I used the now breastless chicken from earlier)
2 celery stalks chopped
3 whole green onions chopped
2 cups of halved green grapes
1/2 cup of mayo
1/2 cup of sour cream (you can also use plain yogurt and I usually do, however, my fridge only had    sour cream)
A sprinkle of herbs (its supposed to be fresh chopped dill but again, I didn't have any at the moment so I used dried parsley and cilantro. This really changed the flavor and was a little disappointing. Still good but disappointing.)
1 Tablespoon of brown sugar
One lemon, juiced (This was my only bought item so far that was used!)
Sea salt and Pepper, just a sprinkling to match your tastes

So here is what I did with all these fabulous ingredients... First I took the whole chicken, put it in the crockpot on high for 2 hrs with just a tablespoon of butter cut into 3 pads and placed on top of the chicken and a bit of salt and pepper. After 2 hrs I put it on low until it was done. This chicken stays so moist and literally falls off the bone when you get it out of the crock pot, it's delish!


I could have eaten just this chicken... yum :)


My poor grapes were looking a bit sad... All this was in the produce drawer in the fridge. Can you tell I LOVE fresh fruits and veggies ;) 


After it cooled for a bit I picked all the meat off the bones and chopped it and added the celery, onions, and green grapes.


 Next I mixed the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl to make the dressing for the chicken salad. Taste it to add any extra to what suits your taste.... Just please, please, use fresh dill! I'm still so bummed I didn't have any! Once it's mixed pour over the chicken mixture and stir till everything is completely blended. Now it's ready to eat or throw in the fridge for later!

Wish this picture hadn't turned out so yellow... hmmm... Well it tastes super yummy and is ready for our lunches throughout the week! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment