Monday, March 25, 2013

White Chicken Chili

Today has been super cold and snowy and just screamed, "soup for dinner!" It has been forever since I have made my White Chicken Chili and it just so happened I have all the ingredients. This is my very own recipe and I am quite proud of it. I do have to say though, if you like more of a think typical chili texture this is not for you, it is more on the soupy side. Here it is, enjoy!





Megan's White Chicken Chili
1 Tbs coconut or olive oil
1 med. onion diced
4 cloves of garlic minced
2 4oz cans of chopped green chilies
4 cups of shredded chicken, more if you want it thicker. 
2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 cans of great northern beans drained and rinsed, sometimes I use 3 cans
6 cups of chicken broth
1 cup grated Monterey Jack Cheese plus more for toppings
pepper
cilantro (optional)
sour cream (optional)

Heat oil in a large pot on med/high heat. Add onions and saute them until they are translucent. Add garlic, chilies, chicken, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Sautee for about 2 mins. Add beans and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, than reduce heat to simmer for about an hour or two. Add 1 cup grated cheese and stir until melted to thicken it up. season with pepper and salt if you like. Serve with cheese, sour cream, and cilantro as garnish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment