Sunday, July 10, 2016

Chicken Fried Rice

Looking for a meal that's easy to pull together and satisfies the craving for Asian food? Chicken Fried Rice is an easy dish to throw together and in reality is very cheap to make, especially for a large amount of people!
This recipe satisfied everyone's hunger and there were leftovers even after we had seconds! Since we are doing a budget challenge I decided to work this one in. I had some carrots I bought from SAM's, chicken thighs I bought on sale from Food City, rice I bought from TJ's, and eggs and onions we already had. Total, based on the ratios of everything used (we still have a lot left of each ingredient), this meal cost less than $6 for six people to have for dinner. 


Chicken Fried Rice:

1 pound of chicken, cooked and shredded (chicken thighs were so tender and worked great!)
3 cups of cooked brown jasmine rice (or whatever rice you have on hand)
1/2 an onion, chopped
1 cup of fresh diced carrots (I boiled mine just until they started to soften just a little)
1/2 cup frozen or fresh peas
2-3 T Soy sauce or alternative such as Liquid Aminos 
2 eggs
(optional) add chopped green onions on top at the end

1. Cook and shred or dice chicken. (I cooked mine in a baking dish in the oven with a soy sauce and honey mixture on top. While I cooked my chicken I was cooking my rice, my particular type of rice takes 35 minutes to cook)
2. Preheat a large skillet or wok on medium heat. Pour a bit of olive oil in the bottom to begin heating. Once oil is heated add onion, peas, and carrots, frying until tender. 
3. Push vegetable mixture to one side of the pan. On the other side scramble 2 eggs. Once you have finished cooking, mix with vegetables. 
4. Next, add rice and chicken and pour soy sauce on top. Stir and continue frying until heated thoroughly and well combined. 
5. Add chopped green onions if you like and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I often make beef fried rice. Everyone loves it. Sometimes I add fish sauce or some garlic or ginger for a little extra layer of flavor. I think the jasmine rice adds some flavor as well. I didn't think to cook the eggs alongside the veggies. Will have to try it with the chicken version!

    ReplyDelete