Sunday, February 17, 2013

Easy Clam Chowder

I have made clam chowder before but didn't really like the outcome that much. It's one of those things I LOVE and wanted to find the perfect recipe. After looking over about 5 different ones I decided I would take bits and pieces from each and make my own. Hubby loved it and so did my 2 year old! I have to admit, I was quite pleased myself!



Easy Clam Chowder
makes about 8 servings

2-3 (6.5oz) cans of clams minced
1/2 cup of minced onion
1/2 cup of celery
2 cups of cubed potatoes
1/2 cup diced carrots
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
3-4 cups milk (I started with 3 but added about another cup after everything was mixed to thin it out a bit)
salt and pepper to taste

optional: garnish with pieces of bacon and cheese

Place onions, carrots, celery, and potatoes into a pot. Drain the juice from the clams over the vegetables and reserve the clams for later. Next, pour just enough water into the pot to make sure the vegetables are covered with liquid. Cook over medium heat until tender.

While veggies are cooking use a large pot to melt the butter. Once butter is melted whisk in the flour than add the milk and continue whisking until the liquid is a completely mixed and starting to thicken just a bit. Next add veggies with their liquid and mix well. Stir in the clams and add salt and pepper to taste just before serving.

Enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment